• The Blockheads, Nidi d’Arac, VAMM and Banquet of Boxes join the line-up
• Selected as a Top 10 Festival for 2013 by Songlines magazine
The chart-topping Blockheads and Italian act Nidi d’Arac are among the latest editions to the line-up of Towersey Festival 2013 (22-26 Aug).
Formed in 1977, The Blockheads (22 Aug) hit the number one slot with Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick a year later. Other Top 10 singles include What A Waste and the infectious Reasons to be Cheerful, Part 3. Since the passing of frontman Ian Dury in 2000, the band have continued to tour and release new material to much acclaim, and celebrate their 35th anniversary this year.
Described as ‘southern Italy’s answer to Oysterband and Transglobal Underground’ (The Guardian), Nidi d’Arac (25 Aug) have been wowing international audiences for more than a decade. Fronted by Alessandro Coppola, they meld traditional Italian music from the Salento region of southern Italy with electronica and contemporary dance beats.
Also new to the festival are Celtic Connections favourites VAMM (23 Aug), and Banquet of Boxes (25 Aug), a unique celebration of the English melodeon with some of the instruments’ best exponents, including Saul Rose (Faustus, Waterson:Carthy), John Spiers (Bellowhead), Simon Care (Albion Band, Tickled Pink), Matt and Dan Quinn (Gas Mark 5, The Mighty Quinns) and Katie Howson (Polkaworks, Old Hat Dance Band).
They join an already impressive bill led by the Mercury Prize nominated Unthanks, Show Of Hands, Bellowhead’s Spiers and Boden, and a specially reformed Home Service, featuring War Horse songsmith John Tams.
Named as a Top 10 Festival for 2013 by Songlines magazine, Towersey has been a major event in the Oxfordshire calendar for 49 years, with its eclectic mix of music, ceilidh dance sessions, poetry, comedy, theatre, circus performers, visual arts, films, workshops, storytelling, food and a real ale bar, packed with artisan beers and ciders.
The popular Children’s Festival features everything from drop-in craft activities to baby reflexology, while the Shooting Roots strand presents a programme of activities dedicated to, and run by, young people.
Tickets for the full festival range from £55-£110, with under 5s free. Camping available. Day tickets and tickets for selected performances will be available from 1 May.
For further information and to book tickets, call 023 8071 1818 or see: www.towerseyfestival.com
Thursday 22 August to Monday 26 August 2013
- Thu 22 Aug: The Blockheads, The Gloworms
- Fri 23 Aug: The Unthanks, Orkestra Del Sol, Vin Garbutt, Dan Walsh, Skinny Lister, Manière des Bohémiens, VAMM
- Sat 24 Aug: Show Of Hands, Martin Simpson, Gas Mark 5, Lucy Ward, Moulettes, Manière des Bohémiens
- Sun 25 Aug: Home Service, Mama Rosin, Martin Carthy & Eliza Carthy, Nidi d’Arac, The Spooky Men’s Chorale, Banquet of Boxes, Roy Bailey, Polkaworks
- Mon 26 Aug: Spiers and Boden, The Spooky Men’s Chorale, Roy Bailey, The Poozies, Tyde, Lisbee Stainton, James Delarre and Saul Rose, Tickled Pink
Various venues, Towersey, Oxfordshire OX9
Tickets: Full festival (with camping): adult £130; adult concession £124; youth £97; child £55; under 5 free. Full festival (admission only): adult £110; adult concession £104; youth £77; child £55; under 5 free.
Individual day tickets available from 1 May.
Tel: 023 8071 1818
- For more information on this event, Contact Us.