A selection of artists due to appear at this year’s Towersey Festival have contributed to a new 18-track compilation.
Available as a free download, the 75 minute album, entitled simply Towersey Festival 2016, features an array of rarities, album tracks, singles and exclusives.
Among the contributing artists are The Young’uns, winners of the BBC Radio 2 Folk Awards Best Group category for two consecutive years (2015-2016), along with Folk Award 2016 nominees Lynched (Best Group) and Damien O’Kane (Best Album).
They’re joined by chart-topping acoustic duo Nizlopi, aka double-bass playing beatboxer John Parker and singer/ guitarist Luke Concannon (who also opens the set with an epic solo cut), much-loved duo Nancy Kerr and James Fagan, and the hotly tipped India Electric Co. (who visit the festival with Midge Ure).
Further highlights include an exclusive track from Steve Tilston and Jez Lowe, a re-recording of Oil and Water from Steve’s 2011 album, The Reckoning; Been Loved To Much, a track from Ma Polaine’s Great Decline‘s new EP, Small Town Talk, co-produced by Ben Walker (from duo Josienne Clarke and Ben Walker); and Welcome by ’70s folk legend Roy Bailey, which was recorded live in front of an enthusiastic audience at Towersey Festival 2015.
The compilation concludes with Conservatoire Folk Ensemble‘s Emma’s Reel / Nothing To Declare from their newly remastered live album, The Official Bootleg. With 50+ members, the ensemble also officially close the festival.
The album is available now as a free/ pay-what-you-want download via the festival website: www.towerseyfestival.com
Towersey Festival released their first album, Festival At Towersey, in 1968. A much belated follow-up was released last year featuring artists from 2015’s festival, and is still available to download/ stream.
One of the UK’s oldest independent music festivals, Oxfordshire’s Towersey Festival mixes appearances from renowned folk, acoustic and roots artists with an extensive programme of workshops, street theatre performances, film and family-friendly activities, plus music instrument and craft stalls, gourmet street food, real ale and cider. The next festival runs from Friday 26 to Monday 29 August 2016.
- Luke Concannon – Fly
- The Young’uns – The Streets of Lahore
- Lynched – The Old Man From Over The Sea
- Damien O’Kane – Til Next Market Day
- Nancy Kerr and James Fagan – Dolerite Skies
- India Electric Co. – Heimat
- Nizlopi – Last Night in Dakar
- Rory McLeod – Emperor’s New Clothes
- The Urban Folk Quartet – Upward Spiral / Brink
- Roy Bailey – Welcome (Live at Towersey Festival 2015)
- Tilston and Lowe – Oil And Water
- Rusty Shackle – Down To The Valley
- Ma Polaine’s Great Decline – Been Loved Too Much
- Gavin Osborn – In Another Lifetime
- Elephant Sessions – Ainya’s
- MJ Hibbett & The Validators – 20 Things To Do Before You’re 30
- Tickled Pink – The Hogmanay
- Conservatoire Folk Ensemble – Emma’s Reel / Nothing To Declare
Available for download from: www.towerseyfestival.com/album2016
Notes on the compilation tracklisting: Track 1 from Give It All; 2 from Another Man’s Ground; 3 from Cold Old Fire; 4 remix, single from Areas of High Traffic; 5 5rom LP Twice Reflected Sun; 6 from The Girl I Left Behind Me; 7 from LP Make It Happen; 8 from Brave Faces; 9 from The Escape; 10 from Live At Towersey Festival 2015; 11 exclusive recording; 12 single from Dusk; 13 from Small Town Talk EP; 14 From Share Your Toys; 15 from The Elusive Highland Beauty; 16 presently unreleased; 17 from Ceilidh; 18 from The official Bootleg – Live In Chester.
- For all media / PR enquiries relating to Towersey Festival 2016, please contact us: